Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oahu and the Polynesian Cultural Center


On December 2nd, we arrived in the Honolulu port on the island of Oahu. I researched before we left to find out the best and cheapest way to get to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The rental cars seemed like a big pain and you had to have them back early. A taxi would be expensive because the Center is in Laie which is 1 1/2 hours from Honolulu. We ended up taking the public bus system that goes around the island. We paid $18 total for all 7 of us to go there and back. It was a relaxing ride out and back. On the way out there we got to see a couple of rainbows because it rained a little in the morning. I have never seen such a beautiful rainbow before. We thought we should go to the temple first and I was mistaken in thinking that the bus went right by the temple so instead of getting off right in front of the Cultural Center we got off on the next stop and walked back. We got there a little too early. I know, you are all thinking, "Wow, Dallin and Kalani got somewhere early." Keep in mind Hawaii is 3 hours earlier then home so we were able to get up early but it didn't feel early to us. There is a McDonalds right outside the Center so we ate some lunch and when we were done the doors were open and we could go in. When we first got there we rode on a canoe up the river to the end and then worked our way back visiting each island. We were able to get to most of the islands plus took a shuttle bus to the temple with some sister missionaries before the Luau. Kiani learned a hula dance, how to play a stick game, and swing poi balls. The coconut bread was good that we were able to try. They cook it in the ground with leaves and stuff to cover it and keep the heat in. Dalek liked throwing the sticks at Dallin more then playing the game but he did enjoy the tossing game that is similiar to horse shoes. Dalek wanted the stamps from the village on his face. He looked like a warrior.Kalea loved all the music and dancing. She had the smallest nap ever because she didn't want to sleep and miss out on all the fun. After the temple we went to eat dinner at the Luau. The dinner was better then I had expected. I had heard bad reviews about the food so going in I was expecting it to be gross. My Dad somehow missed the Poi they had so he was dissapointed. Dallin ate some but decided it needed to be fresher. The flavor changes a lot if it is even a little old. Kalea learned to say please when she wanted to drink the big pineapple smoothie. The kids enjoyed watching the dancers and eating. At the end they invited the kids up to dance with the hula dancers. Kiani got into it but Dalek said it was too hard so he just stood there and watched the other kids around him. We decided to not stay for the show at the end because Kalea was so tired and we didn't want to miss the boat. When we got back we put the kids to bed and went out looking for some Wasabi peanuts. Dallin sister Kristen does so much for us that we wanted to get her something. She said she would love some wasabi peanuts from Hawaii so we found some in Honolulu. This was a very fun, tiring day. I wish we had had more time on this island.

1 comment:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

oh I am so jealous. Your pictures make me so homesick to be back at the PCC and the Temple grounds. We used to go sit on the temple grounds most Sundays and it was so peaceful. Someday I have to get Jason back there to see my old college stomping ground. Looks like you had a really great time and got to do a lot of fun stuff. Also the public bus, I got to know that well while going to school and it really isn't so bad. I think that is the first time that I had ever ridden a public bus.