Sunday, August 24, 2008

A quick summer camping and hiking trip

We decided to go camping on Friday, August the 15th. We thought we wanted to go down to a campground above Alta Ski Resort so I drove to Dallin's work after spending the day babysitting and packing. When I got there Dallin asked me if I remembered Kalea's pack to carry her in while we were hiking and I had left it right beside the car in the garage. So instead of heading south we turned around and went back home to get it and headed up Weber Canyon instead. We found the very last campground available which wasn't very nice but it was fine for the short time we were there. I have come to realize that I really hate camping with babies who can walk but still trip a lot. I was worried the whole time about her and like mother like daughter she loves to eat dirt. She would pick up every rock she could find and suck off the dirt. Of course that is more like her Aunt Kris but close enough. Hopefully next year will be a little easier. We set the tent up in the dark which is very normal for us. Dallin was happy to have my help because most of the time he sets the tent up himself. The kids stayed in the car until we were done and then we tried to all go to sleep. Kalea wasn't fond of the wind blowing on the tent and wouldn't settle down in her play pen so I brought her onto the pad with me and she fell asleep pretty fast. We woke up and had breakfast and Dallin built a fire and then we packed up and headed out to explore the area and do some hiking. We found a nice quiet reservoir that people like to canoe, kayak, and fish on and above it was a scout camp that Dallin didn't know was there. He liked the look of it and is going to suggest they camp there next year.
Kalea loves being big , sitting in a chair like everyone else.
Dallin lights the fires so fast. I know how to start a fire but I always let Dallin do it since he is sooo much better.

Kiani liked finding things that would burn although she was a little scared of getting too close to the fire.

This is Dallin's favorite part of camping. This is the reservoir that we found.

We drove to Snowbasin after that and decided to go on a hike. We had quite the adventure on the way there though. We had bought Camelbacks for the kids so that they weren't always stopping to ask for drinks as we were hiking. I made the mistake of giving them to them as we were leaving the campground. They both managed to drink most of the water which should have lasted them all day in the 45 minutes we took to drive. Their little bladders couldn't handle it and they ended up having to go the bathroom every 5 minutes. They went at least 4 times in a really short time. When we got to Snowbasin there was a triathlon just finishing and so we had to wait for a little bit to find parking. It was lunch time so we decided to have a picnic lunch on the grass and the kids played for awhile.


The kids playing American Gladiator at Snowbasin. They were trying to see who could knock the other one off of the grate.
Kalea had fun going up and down the rock steps and running around the grass with the other two kids. Dallin and I loved the fact that the rock wall was like a big play pen. He would love to make the lower part of our yard like that.

We found a great trail to hike and made it most of the way up before the kids got tired and poor Kalea fell asleep. The backpack carrier isn't the most comfortable place to fall asleep. Her head was so kinked I wanted to take her out and just carry her. We made it back to the car lightning fast. It was a tiring but fun trip especially when we got to Snowbasin.

Dalek was the best trail guide. He has a great sense of direction and found the right trails even when there was more then one to take. Poor little baby.

4 comments:

Hay Dub said...

Looks like a blast!! You guys are the cutest family! I should all go camping sometime together. That would be a ton of fun.

Gates Family said...

You have a cute blog, and a cute family. I am glad I found them today. :)

Amy Finnegan {BookshopTalk.com} said...

I always love your posts, Kalani! And I love all the pics you take. You are super talented with a camera, catching you kids personalities just perfectly :)

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

How fun! I talked to Heather today and she gave me her blog and so it is fun to see what people are up to. Mollie was talking about Kiani today and about the cabin we went to. I am glad she has a good memory and remembers all the fun stuff we have done. We do need to get us all back together again. Talk to you later, Jess