I trained pretty hard for only about 12 weeks before the race and didn't get in as much swimming as I wanted to since my gym doesn't have a pool and with little kids that makes it a little tough. My sister had been swimming 3 times a week for quite a long time and so she is a much better swimmer then I am. I only swam in a lake once so I was a little scared of swimming in the lake with a bunch of other racers.
This is Kris and I just before the start of the race. It was 52 degrees and raining which made the water feel warm compared to the air. I was grateful for the wet suits though. Thanks Mom and Annette. We started the swim in deep water and Kris and I weren't up to the starting line when the cannon went off so I was off to a bad start. Not good for someone who was worried about the swim. Then my goggles fogged up (non fogging goggles, grrr) and I had to attempt to unfog them while treading water. Not good. Once I actually got swimming it wasn't so bad but getting going was tough. Half way through I was wondering what in the world had made me want to jump in a cold lake and swim with a bunch of people. I made it through though and faster then I thought I would.
This is the transition to the bike. It went pretty smoothly. I tried to get on my bike too soon since I didn't really know what I was doing. I had rented a really nice bike up in Boise and loved it. I would have loved to have brought it home but wouldn't have wanted to pay the price for it. My favorite part of the whole race was the bike. Looking back I could have pushed the bike harder but I was worried about not having any legs left to run. I had never done all three in one workout only two at a time and I hadn't ridden on a road bike before. I scared Dallin with my dismount. I was watching the guy in front of me to know what to do and he swung his leg over and jumped off and kept running so I did the same thing. I didn't think about the fact that my legs might not work well. Thankfully they worked fine and I just kept going. It was so nice to have Dallin there cheering me on. He made me want to go faster and harder. I forgot to take my helmet off and had to run back and put it on my bike and then I kept losing my inhaler off my race belt but other then that the run went well. I ran it in the time I thought I would.
This is my sprint to the finish line. What a feeling to cross that finish line and know I had accomplished my goal. I finished in less time then I thought I would. I placed in the middle of the pack which is better then I thought I would since I was so bad in the swim. Kris did amazing. She finished 5 minutes before I did. You totally rock Kris. Thanks for doing it with me. What a fun time. I can't wait to do it again.

2 comments:
You are so amazing Kalani! I love that you did this!! We have to do one together. Love ya
Hay
You both are my heroes! What an awesome acomplishment! Way to go! I'm inspired to get in shape now. :)
Post a Comment